Have a talent you want to show off? Want to check out some local up-and-coming talent? Then you need to find an open mic night in Charlotte! Here are some of my picks.
- The “Find Your Muse” open mic night at Evening Muse in NoDa encourages songwriters to come and share original compositions. The mic opens every Monday at 8pm, but sign-ups begin at 7pm.
- Open Mic & Jam with the Smokin’ J’s, the talented house band, happens at Smokey Joe’s every Tuesday night, starting at 10pm. This establishment in the Coliseum Drive area touts a crowd that ranges from college kids to seasoned bar-hounds. It’s definitely a “do not miss” on the list of Charlotte dive bars, in general!
- Start your weekend early with the open mic night at Tommy’s Pub. Every Thursday night at 8:30, the fun starts at this Plaza Midwood quintessential dive bar.
- Petra’s is another Plaza Midwood staple – a good night out spot that also happens to have an open mic night. Billed as Broken Mic Night, it happens every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month.
- Looking for a comedy open mic night? Hit up Smelly Cat in NoDa every Saturday from 7:30 to 9pm. Then get ready for a good giggle!
- Head to Hattie’s in Plaza Midwood every Wednesday from 9pm to midnight for an open mic night hosted by Ryan “Happy Hippy” Armstrong. All genres of music, as well as spoken word and poetry, are welcome.
- You really have to be in the know for this one, as it’s unadvertised. But Common Market in SouthEnd has become my favorite open mic night around. You can find it every Tuesday night in the courtyard. Keep your eyes peeled for me when you come!
Do you have an open mic night spot in Charlotte? Let me know! I’d love to check out new ones around town!