No…we’re not taking a road trip to Gaston County.
The Belmont neighborhood of Charlotte is located just outside Center City Charlotte and the I-277 loop. Belmont’s boundaries are typically described as E. 10th Street, N. Davidson Street, Hawthorne Lane and Parkwood Avenue.
Unfortunately, Belmont has had a troubled history. It was once known for its drug market and gunfire that kept many residents indoors. That’s all changing, though. Belmont is currently undergoing a revitalization much like Charlotte saw in NoDa and Plaza Midwood over the last few years. Young professionals looking for affordable housing near Charlotte’s uptown began to move in and start the transformation. In addition, as part of the ecodistrict with Villa Heights and Optimist Park, Belmont was awarded an $80,000 Energy Challenge Grant from Charlotte in 2010 to achieve the following projects:
- Light Bulb Blowout: Distribute CFL’s to reduce use of power and increase energy awareness.
- Bicycle Initiative: Training and education to increase use of bicycles and reduce car use.
- Keeping Cool: HVAC maintenance and tips to increase efficiency of our systems.
- Educational ecodistrict website: Build a centralized internet place for information, grant projects and events.
- Bus Stop Routes Review: Neighborhood and rider review to increase usage and ridership while possibly reducing bus emissions.
As a result of these initiatives, Belmont’s crime rate has dropped, the median household income has risen and home prices have jumped. Housing is still extremely affordable, especially for a neighborhood this close to Center City, but as this transformation continues, we can expect home prices to continue to increase.
The neighborhood is filled with retro bungalows (an extremely popular style of house in this market), many offering wrap-around porches, great backyards and/or a view of the Charlotte skyline. A planned light rail line to UNC Charlotte along the edge of nearby Villa Heights and NoDa is expected spark more development.
Ready to explore Belmont? Check out my video of my listing at 1603 Pegram St, then let’s set up an appointment to show you around!