To say it’s been hot is an understatement. So since July is National Ice Cream Month, and we’re winding the month down with some of the hottest temperatures we’ve had, I bring you some of the best local ice cream spots in Charlotte.
- Mr K’s Soft Ice Cream – This is one of Charlotte’s original Mom & Pop shops. Located in the same SouthEnd location since 1967, Mr K’s offers soft serve and hand-dipped ice cream, and serves it up in cones, cups, dipped, sundaes, milkshakes and more.
- King of Pops – OK. So, technically this isn’t a spot. But finding this cart could be one of the best things you do that day! The flavors of ice pops these folks make and sell are amazing! Check out their schedule and location(s) on their website!
- Elizabeth Creamery – Tucked behind Carpe Diem in Elizabeth, this shop is on the small side. But they make their own waffle cones, and you can always take your order to go if it’s too crowded.
- Pike’s Old Fashioned Soda Shop – Pike’s is another SouthEnd staple. This is a place for a whole dining experience – freshly prepared salads, sandwiches, burgers, and homestyle cooking accompanied by milkshakes, sundaes and banana splits. It’s one not to miss.
- Dairy Queen in Plaza Midwood – I know. I know. Dairy Queen is a chain. But the walk-up store on Central in Plaza Midwood has been a neighborhood staple for over 60 years! How can you go wrong?!?!?
I’m always down for some good ice cream, especially from local spots! (I know I skipped chains like Ben & Jerry’s and Menchie’s in this post.) Where are your favorite spots for ice cream around town? Did I miss some local faves? Give me some places I’ve got to try!